Morro Castle Spanish: Castillo de los Tres Reyes Magos del Morro is a fortress guarding the entrance to Havana bay. Juan Bautista Antonelli, an Italian engineer, was commissioned to design the structure. When it was built in 1589, Cuba was under the control of Spain.
El Morro is perched high on a rocky bluff above the Atlantic. It is an irregular polygon. Walls are 3m-thick and deep protective moat offer, it is a classic example of Renaissance military architecture.El Morro had inside barracks, dungeons, wells and a church. In the structure of the fortress there was a turret called El Morrillo used as watchtower.
For more than a century the fort withstood numerous attacks by French, Dutch and English privateers, but in 1762, after a 44-day siege, a 14,000-strong British force captured El Morro by attacking from the landward side. As a result of that battle, the bastions and walls were practically razed, having received the impact of forty thousand bombs and projectiles, as stated in British documents of the time. Then the Spanish flag was pulled down and substituted by the English one until the next year, when the city was again under Spanish rule. The fortress was rebuilt.
In December, 1845 a tower 30 meters high and 5 meters in diameter was inaugurated. It would become a symbol and a beacon of the city. The light of the lighthouse has a range of 35 miles.