Ngahtatgyi Buddha & Chaukhtatgyi Buddha Temple
Ngahtatgyi Buddha Temple (ငါးထပ်ကြီးဘုရားကြီး) is a Buddhist temple in Bahan Township. A distinct five-tiered pagoda houses the original 6.2 m high Buddha image was donated by Prince Minyedeippa in 1558. A Buddha 13.9 m on a pedestal, 9.1 m high and 14 m wide was erected at the temple in 1900.
Chaukhtatgyi Buddha Temple (ခြောက်ထပ်ကြီးဘုရားကြီး) is known for its enormous 65 meters long Reclining Buddha. The original image was completed in 1907. When after many decades the Chauk Htat Gyi image was in a bad state of repair, a devout Buddhist decided to restore it. During renovations in 1966 about 5 meters were added to the image. The renovation was paid for entirely with donations from Buddhists and foreign tourists. The names of the contributors are inscribed on the beams of the building.
The very impressive 65 meters long and 16 meters high Chauk Htat Gyi Buddha image is wearing a golden robe; the right arm of the Buddha is supporting the back of the head. The Reclining Buddha image is decorated with very expressive colors, white face, red lips, blue eye shadow, golden robe and red finger nails. The soles of the feet contain 108 segments in red and gold colors that show images representing the 108 lakshanas or auspicious characteristics of the Buddha.