St. Andrew's Cathedral
Saint Andrew's Cathedral is an Anglican cathedral in Singapore, the country's largest cathedral. The logo of the Cathedral is the St Andrew's Cross.
Designed by George Dumgoole Coleman, the original Saint Andrew's Church was built from 1835 to 1836. The second Church of Saint Andrew was designed by John Turnbull Thomson and built in circa 1842. Rumours of unhappy spirits and damage caused by two lightning strikes in 1845 and 1849 resulted in its closure in 1852 and subsequent demolition in 1855.
Colonel Ronald macPherson, the Executive Engineer and Superintendent of convicts, designed the new church. To cut costs, Indian convict labour was used, as it was for many buildings of the day. Daniel Wilson, bishop of Calcutta, laid the foundation stone on 4 March 1856, and the first service was held on 1 October 1861. George Cotton, who succeeded Daniel Wilson, had the honour of consecrating the cathedral on 25 January 1862. In 1869, it was transferred from the jurisdiction of Calcutta to the Diocese of Labuan and Sarawak and, in 1870, Archdeacon John Alleyne Beckles consecrated it as the Cathedral Church of the United Diocese.
In 1942, shortly before the fall of Singapore to the Japanese, the cathedral served as an emergency hospital.
Saint Andrew's Cathedral was gazetted as a national monument on 6 July 1973.